Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Who Needs Sleep

So as I write this tonight, I have had 2 hours of sleep in the past 30 hours. Remarkably, I'm not that tired.  I spent the day with my favorite girl and am happy to report that I have been abiding by my policy of not staying on my phone or computer when she wants my attention.  She was SOOO funny with her constant referral to me today as "girl" with statements such as "Patience, girl" and "Let me tell you girl".  Of course everytime I tell her to stop calling me girl, I'm laughing and so in turn, she is laughing and I continue to be called girl. Oh well, I guess there are much worse things that she could call me.  On a totally inappropriate note, my daughter ended the night lying on my chest while we were snuggled in her bed and she lifted her head up, fluffed my right breast like a pillow and laid her head back down. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.  She honestly is a constant source of entertainment. Never a dull moment with that one.

I am going to finally post about something to do with one of my favorite hobbies: cooking. I'm not talking about baking exotic worldly items but instead southern cooking, Paula Deen style.  Tonight was flatbread cheeseburgers which consisted of a hamburger concoction on top of a fried biscuit. YUM! To make it you take 1lb of ground beef and brown in skillet. I seasoned with salt, pepper, worstershire sauce, liquid smoke, onion powder, garlic powder and Tony's.  Drain grease from beef. Then saute some onions and minced garlic in skillet. Return beef to skillet and mix in 1/2 cup of ketchup and 2 tablespoons of mustard. The original recipe called for onion soup mix, water and apple cider vinegar mixed in with it but I didn't have any and it turned out fine without it.  Put mixture on medium low heat and simmer for approximately 5 minutes.  While meat is cooking, take a can of Grands biscuits and roll each out to a 6 inch circle. In a seperate skillet fry each biscuit on each side 30 seconds to 1 minute. You can use a little bit of oil in pan if you want a crispier crust.  Top each biscuit with some of the hamburger mixture and some shredded cheddar cheese and Voila!











Other things that kept me busy this past week included replanting flower beds (I know now is not the time but everything died while we were on vacation). 


I also tried desperately to repair a hummingbird feeder that I have already returned once. I used super glue, monkey glue and plumber's putty with no luck. The bottom is cracked and clearly still leaking.

I also have been consumed with planning Albree's 5th Birthday and was super pumped to find this cute cake stand


And sadly I had to buy my little baby girl's kindergarten uniforms and backpack (which I proudly got for $3.25 instead of buying the $45 one from Pottery Barn that we really wanted).  Can't believe we are at this stage already. 
 Lastly I have to share this pic of my other child. Since he has not gotten in trouble in over 2 weeks, I am feeling overly affectionate towards him. In all honesty I LOVE this dog. Taylor and I will spend hours making up conversations we believe he is saying. Lame but I wouldnt want my life any other way!




3 comments:

  1. The hamburger flatbreads look delish! Paul Deen always does ti right. Also, don't feel bad about Gumbeaux- Lukas an Porkchop have complete pretend lives that we discuss on a daily basis. Did you know that Porkchop used to be a hitman?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will find one of those cake stands one day! :) and I'm super excited about Albree's birthday party (even though I'll be celebrating it on Bourbon St), and you better take a lot of pictures!!

    ReplyDelete